According to Roto-Rooter, on the day after Thanksgiving (or “Brown Friday” as they warmly call it) their call volume increases as much as 50% over an average Friday and 21% over Thanksgiving weekend. If you really think about it, there is a lot going on at your house that puts a strain on your plumbing during the holiday season: you have guests staying with you so there are more showers and toilets flushing than usual and let’s not forget the amount of grease and leftovers that find their way down our kitchen drains when we’re cleaning.
This Thanksgiving, be mindful of your pipes and drains and follow these helpful tips provided by Roto-Rooter so you don’t have to call your plumber:
- Don’t pour fats or cooking oils down drains. They solidify in pipes and choke drains.
- Never put stringy, fibrous or starchy waste down the garbage disposal. Disposals can handle most scraps in small quantities but it’s best to toss most food waste into the trash can or compost pile.
- Make sure the disposal is running when you feed it food scraps.
- Don’t flush cotton balls or wet wipes down toilets. They don’t dissolve and will cause clogs.
- Place a waste basket in the bathroom so your guests won’t flush these items
All of us at Access Answering Service hope that you have a very Happy Thanksgiving with your family and friends. If you do need a plumber and you happen to call a plumber who is using our services, we will be ready to dispatch them to your house as soon as possible.